Malaysian Chicken Curry
- 300 g jasmine rice
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 600 g free range chicken thigh, diced
- 100 g laksa or yellow curry paste
- 10 g curry powder
- 400 ml lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 baby bok choy, sliced 3cm
- 100 g baby spinach
- 1 telegraph cucumber, diced 2cm
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped peanuts
- 1 pinch chilli flakes optional
- Bring a full kettle to the boil.
- COOK RICECombine rice, boiling water measure and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil with the lid on. Once boiling, reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and steam, covered, for 5 more minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- PREP & COOK CURRYHeat oil in large pot on high heat. Pat chicken dry and cook for 3-4 minutes to seal and then add curry paste and curry powder. Cook for a further minute until fragrant. Add coconut milk and water measure, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer to 3-4 minutes. While cooking, slice bok choy. Add bok choy and spinach and cook for a further minute until spinach has wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- PREP CUCUMBERDice cucumber and place in a medium bowl with vinegar, chilli flakes, sesame oil, peanuts and a pinch of salt. Use a potato masher or wooden spoon to lightly smash the cucumber, until its frayed around the edges. Set aside to serve.
- Serve rice topped with chicken curry and smashed cucumber.