Peri Peri Crusted Fish with Roasted Tomatoes and Smashed Peas
Peri peri is also known as African bird’s eye chilli!
My Classic Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic Food Bag on 8 January 2017.
ROASTED TOMATOES AND POTATOES
- 800g baby potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 tomatoes, diced 2cm
PERI PERI CRUSTED FISH
- ¼ cup flour seasoned with ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1½ cups peri peri crust
- 600g fish fillets
- 1–2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- ½ bag frozen peas *
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (e.g. white wine, red wine, cider)
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 1 Toss baby potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil on prepared tray and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20–25 minutes, until crispy and golden. Remove tray from oven, toss through tomatoes and roast a further 4 minutes, until tomatoes are tender.
- 2 While potatoes are cooking, place seasoned flour, eggs and peri peri crust into separate bowls. Pat fish dry with paper towels and remove any remaining scales or bones. Coat each piece of fish first in flour then egg and lastly peri peri crust, shaking off any excess as you go. Set aside.
- 3 Bring stock/water to the boil in a small pot on high heat. Add peas and cook for 3–4 minutes, until soft then drain. Return to pot and roughly mash. Fold through mayonnaise and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
- 4 Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Cook fish, in batches, for about 2 minutes each side, until golden and just cooked through. Add more oil as needed.
- 5 Finely shred lettuce and toss with vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide roasted tomatoes and potatoes and shredded lettuce between plates. Top with peri peri crusted fish and a dollop of smashed peas. Squeeze over lemon juice just before eating.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2266 kj / 542 kcal
- Protein: 42.1g
- Carbohydrate: 51.2g
- Fat: 17.3g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe