Ginger Soy Chicken with Veggie Stir-Fry and Jasmine Rice
The perfect stir-fry to cook in your wok!
My Family Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Family Food Bag on Sunday, January 8, 2017.
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- 2¼ cups water
GINGER SOY CHICKEN
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornflour mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 550g chicken thighs, sliced 1–2cm
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and sliced 1cm
- 1 courgette, sliced 0.5cm
- 1 baby bok choy, rinsed, end trimmed 1cm and thinly sliced
- Preheat BBQ hot plate to high (if using).
- 1 Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 In a medium pot combine soy sauce, sugar, water, sesame oil, vinegar and ginger and bring to the boil. Add cornflour/water mixture and simmer on lowmedium heat for 3–5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Stir through sesame seeds.
- 3 While ginger soy dressing is simmering, heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on high heat. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and cook for 4–5 minutes, turning regularly, until just cooked through.
- 4 Add cooked chicken to ginger soy dressing, cover and set aside. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel and return to high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- 5 Stir-fry onion, carrot and capsicum for about 4 minutes. Add courgette and bok choy and stir-fry a further 1–2 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- To serve, Spoon ¾ cup cooked jasmine rice onto each plate. Top with veggie stir-fry and ginger soy chicken. Drizzle over remaining ginger soy dressing.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2104 kj / 503 kcal
- Protein: 27.0g
- Carbohydrate: 51.1g
- Fat: 21.5g
- Pantry staple