Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Coconut Rice and Greens
Alternatively, cook chicken on BBQ hotplate or grill for about 3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until cooked through. Asparagus and courgette could also be cooked on the hot plate for about 2 minutes, until tender.
My Classic For 2 Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic For 2 Food Bag on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- ½ cup water
- ½ can coconut milk (shake well before opening)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 125g frozen peas *
- 1 carrot, peeled
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 300g chicken thighs
- 1-2 tablespoons jerk marinade
- 1 courgette
- ½ bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed *
- 1 Bring a small pot of salted water to the boil. Preheat BBQ grill or hot plate to medium-high (if using). Combine all rice, water, coconut milk and salt in a pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, stir, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 10 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 While rice cooks, pat chicken dry with paper towels and cut into 2-3 pieces. Season with salt and place in a shallow bowl with jerk marinade. Toss well to coat and set aside to marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- 3 While chicken marinates, cook peas in pot of boiling water for about 1 minute, until bright green and tender. Drain well and set aside. Thinly slice courgette; cut asparagus spears in half widthways, then in half lengthways; grate carrot. Set all aside separately.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until caramelised and cooked through. Set aside, covered in foil, for about 5 minutes. Wipe out pan and return to a medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- 5 Cook courgette and asparagus for about 2 minutes, until bright green and tender. Season to taste. Once rice has finished steaming, fold through peas and carrot.
- 6 To serve, spoon coconut rice into bowls and top with greens and Jamaican jerk chicken.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2560 kj / 612 kcal
- Protein: 26.4g
- Carbohydrate: 62.3g
- Fat: 28.1g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe