Makrut Lime and Coconut Sugar-Glazed Salmon with Sesame Stir-Fry
Add a little extra water to glaze if it thickens up too fast.
My Gluten-Free Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Gluten-Free Food Bag on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
- 1½ cups Japanese brown rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
Makrut Lime and Coconut Sugar Glaze
- 1 tablespoon GF coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon GF freeze-dried makrut lime powder
- 2 tablespoons GF sweet chilli sauce
- ½ teaspoon GF cornflour, mixed with ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon GF soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon GF rice vinegar or GF white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 450g salmon fillets, cut into 4-5 pieces
- 2 teaspoons GF mixed sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3½ cups shredded cabbage * *
- 1 baby bok choy, end trimmed 1cm, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 100g mung bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons roughly torn Thai basil leaves
- 1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Combine all rice ingredients in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, reduce to lowest heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook on low heat for 15 minutes (do not lift lid during cooking). Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, a further 8 Add a little extra minutes.
- 2 In small pot over a high heat bring all makrut lime and coconut sugar glaze ingredients to the boil, stir a few times then remove from heat. Place salmon pieces, skin-side-down, on prepared tray.
- 3 Season salmon with salt and pepper and pour over warm glaze, reserving a little to serve. Bake salmon in oven for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness), or until just cooked through.
- 4 While salmon cooks, heat a large fry-pan on high heat and toast sesame seeds for 1-2 minutes, until golden, then remove from pan.
- 5 Add sesame oil and plain oil to same pan and stir-fry cabbage and bok choy for 1-2 minutes, until slightly wilted. Toss mung bean sprouts and half the sesame seeds through and season to taste.
- 6 To serve, spoon ¾ cup cooked rice onto each plate and top with sesame stir-fry vegetables. Place a portion of salmon onto each plate and drizzle over remaining kaffir lime and coconut sugar glaze. Sprinkle over Thai basil and remaining sesame seeds.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2253 kj / 538 kcal
- Protein: 24.5g
- Carbohydrate: 51.1g
- Fat: 26.5g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe