Spanish Baked Eggs with Crispy Pitas and Salad
Free-range eggs baked in a flavoursome tomato sauce, served with crispy pitas and salad.
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, October 25, 2015.
SPANISH BAKED EGGS
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Spanish spice mix
- 1 jar tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
- 3 stalks silverbeet, tough central stem removed and leaves finely sliced
- ½ cup water
- 4-6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 wholemeal pita breads
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, to serve
- PREHEAT oven to 200°C. Preheat medium casserole dish (if not using an oven-proof fry-pan). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium (about 26cm wide), preferably oven-proof, fry-pan on low heat. Cook onion and capsicum for 7–8 minutes until soft. Add garlic and Spanish spice mix and cook a further 1 minute until fragrant. Add passata, tomato paste, salt and sweet chilli sauce and simmer for about 4 minutes until thickened slightly. Stir through silverbeet and water and cook a further 1–2 minutes until silverbeet has wilted and sauce has thickened.
- 2 Use a spoon to create 4–6 small holes or ‘wells’ in sauce mixture, leave enough space between each ‘well’ for eggs to spread. Gently crack eggs into each ‘well’. Season with salt and pepper and transfer pan to oven to bake for 4–6 minutes until eggs are just set. Do not overcook eggs as they will continue to cook outside the oven from residual heat in pan. If you do not have an oven-proof pan, transfer tomato mixture to preheated casserole dish before cracking eggs in.
- 3 In a small bowl mix olive oil with garlic. Cut pita breads into quarters and place on prepared tray. Brush with garlic/oil mixture and bake (on rack below eggs) for 6–8 minutes until crisp.
- 4 Prepare salad; finely shred lettuce; halve cucumber lengthways and finely slice; place in a medium bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice.
- TO SERVE Garnish eggs with parsley. Place whole pan/dish in centre of the table with bread on the side. Spoon 2 eggs onto each plate with some sauce and use crispy pita bread to dip into mixture. Serve salad on the side.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2039 kj / 487 kcal
- Protein: 25.5g
- Carbohydrate: 45.2g
- Fat: 20.7g
- Pantry staple