Easy Bean and Vegetable Nachos
Crunchy, cheesy, beany and healthy!
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, December 25, 2016.
BEAN AND VEGETABLE MIXTURE
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 red chilli, finely diced (optional, depending on heat preference)
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 yellow capsicum, core and seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
- 1 can mild chilli beans
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup sour cream
- Juice of half lemon
- 2 packs corn chips
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded *
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander (optional) *
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to high grill.
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil l in a large, oven-proof fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook onion for 3–4 minutes, until golden. Add chilli (if using), carrots and capsicum and cook for a further 4–5 minutes, until vegetables are soft (add a splash of water if vegetables start to stick).
- 2 Stir in Mexican spice mix, chilli beans and canned tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes, until sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 Sprinkle cheese over top of bean and vegetable mixture then transfer pan to oven to grill for about 5 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- 4 In a small bowl mash avocado with 1–2 tablespoons of sour cream and 1–2 teaspoons lemon juice until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place a handful of nacho chips into each bowl and spoon over bean and vegetable mixture. Top with a spoonful of sour cream, a small handful of shredded lettuce, mashed avocado, coriander and squeeze over lemon juice (if using).
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2826 kj / 675 kcal
- Protein: 16.0g
- Carbohydrate: 64.5g
- Fat: 38.1g
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe