Beef and Bean Stir-Fry with Sesame Rice
Fire up the BBQ to give this dish an extra smoky kick
My Classic For 2 Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic For 2 Food Bag on Sunday, January 1, 2017.
- 1 cup Japanese brown rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 20g kecap manis
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1cm ginger, finely grated
BEEF AND BEANS
- 1½ teaspoons oil
- 300g beef rump steaks, sliced 1cm (at room temperature)
- 100g green beans, ends trimmed *
- ½ punnet white button mushrooms, sliced *
- 1 baby bok choy, end removed, rinsed and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat BBQ grill to high (if using).
- 1 Combine rice, water, sesame oil and salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 In a small bowl, combine all stir-fry sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- 3 Heat a large, dry fry-pan on medium heat. Toast sesame seeds for 1–2 minutes, until light brown and fragrant. Remove from pan and stir through rice once cooked. Reserve fry-pan.
- 4 Add oil to reserved pan and increase heat to high. Cook beef for 1–2 minutes each side for medium-rare (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Remove from pan and rest, covered, for at least five minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- 5 Wipe out pan with paper towels and return to high heat. Stir-fry beans and mushrooms for 2–3 minutes, until just tender. Add bok choy, stir-fry sauce and water and cook a further 1 minute, until bok choy is slightly wilted. Add thinly sliced beef and toss to coat.
- To serve spoon ¾ cup cooked sesame rice per person onto plates. Top with beef and bean stir-fry, vegetables and sauce.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 1983 kj / 474 kcal
- Protein: 35.2g
- Carbohydrate: 56.0g
- Fat: 11.8g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe