Beef and Bean Stir-Fry with Sesame Rice
Fire up the BBQ to give this dish an extra smoky kick
My Classic For Two Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic For Two Food Bag on 1 January 2017.
- 1 cup Japanese brown rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 20g kecap manis
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1cm ginger, finely grated
BEEF AND BEANS
- 1½ teaspoons oil
- 300g beef rump steaks, sliced 1cm (at room temperature)
- 100g green beans, ends trimmed *
- ½ punnet white button mushrooms, sliced *
- 1 baby bok choy, end removed, rinsed and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat BBQ grill to high (if using).
- 1 Combine rice, water, sesame oil and salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 In a small bowl, combine all stir-fry sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- 3 Heat a large, dry fry-pan on medium heat. Toast sesame seeds for 1–2 minutes, until light brown and fragrant. Remove from pan and stir through rice once cooked. Reserve fry-pan.
- 4 Add oil to reserved pan and increase heat to high. Cook beef for 1–2 minutes each side for medium-rare (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Remove from pan and rest, covered, for at least five minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- 5 Wipe out pan with paper towels and return to high heat. Stir-fry beans and mushrooms for 2–3 minutes, until just tender. Add bok choy, stir-fry sauce and water and cook a further 1 minute, until bok choy is slightly wilted. Add thinly sliced beef and toss to coat.
- To serve spoon ¾ cup cooked sesame rice per person onto plates. Top with beef and bean stir-fry, vegetables and sauce.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 1983 kj / 474 kcal
- Protein: 35.2g
- Carbohydrate: 56.0g
- Fat: 11.8g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe