Easy Bean and Veggie Nachos
Crunchy, cheesy, beany and healthy!
My Classic For Two Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic For Two Food Bag on Sunday, December 25, 2016.
BEAN AND VEGGIE MIXTURE
- 1 brown onion, grated
- 1 chilli, finely diced (optional, depending on heat preference)
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
- 1 can mild chilli beans
- 1 carton chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup sour cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 packs corn chips
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded *
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and stalks (optional) *
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven grill to high.
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, oven-proof fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook onion for 3–4 minutes, until golden. Add chilli (if using), carrots and capsicum and cook for a further 4–5 minutes, until veggies are soft (add a splash of water if veggies start to stick).
- 2 Stir in Mexican spice mix, chilli beans and tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes, until sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 Sprinkle cheese over top of bean and veggie mixture and transfer pan to top rack of oven to grill for about 5 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- 4 In a small bowl mash avocado with 1–2 tablespoons of sour cream and 1–2 teaspoons lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, Place a handful of corn chips into each bowl and spoon over bean and veggie mixture. Top with a spoonful of sour cream, a small handful of shredded lettuce, mashed avocado, coriander and squeeze over lemon juice (if using).
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2826 kj / 675 kcal
- Protein: 16.0g
- Carbohydrate: 64.5g
- Fat: 38.1g
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe