Easy Bean and Veggie Nachos
Crunchy, cheesy, beany and healthy!
My Classic For 2 Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic For 2 Food Bag on Sunday, December 25, 2016.
BEAN AND VEGGIE MIXTURE
- 1 brown onion, grated
- 1 chilli, finely diced (optional, depending on heat preference)
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
- 1 can mild chilli beans
- 1 carton chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup sour cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 packs corn chips
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded *
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and stalks (optional) *
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven grill to high.
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, oven-proof fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook onion for 3–4 minutes, until golden. Add chilli (if using), carrots and capsicum and cook for a further 4–5 minutes, until veggies are soft (add a splash of water if veggies start to stick).
- 2 Stir in Mexican spice mix, chilli beans and tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes, until sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 Sprinkle cheese over top of bean and veggie mixture and transfer pan to top rack of oven to grill for about 5 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- 4 In a small bowl mash avocado with 1–2 tablespoons of sour cream and 1–2 teaspoons lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, Place a handful of corn chips into each bowl and spoon over bean and veggie mixture. Top with a spoonful of sour cream, a small handful of shredded lettuce, mashed avocado, coriander and squeeze over lemon juice (if using).
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2826 kj / 675 kcal
- Protein: 16.0g
- Carbohydrate: 64.5g
- Fat: 38.1g
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe