Peppered Steak with Hand-Cut Fries and Béarnaise Sauce
A simple recipe that gives a tasty result!
My Classic For Two Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic For Two Food Bag on 25 December 2016.
- 400g orange kumara, scrubbed and cut into 1–2cm-thick fries
- 1 head broccoli
- ½ punnet white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 300g beef rump steaks (at room temperature)
- ½–1 teaspoon crushed pink and green peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Béarnaise sauce (at room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Heat BBQ grill or hot plate to high (if using).
- 1 Toss hand cut-fries with a drizzle of olive oil on prepared tray and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25–30 minutes, until golden and crispy. Turn once during cooking.
- 2 Cut broccoli into small florets, quarter mushrooms and set both aside.
- 3 When kumara has 10 minutes cook time remaining, heat oil in a medium fry-pan on medium-high heat. Rub steak with peppercorns and season with salt. Cook for about 2 minutes each side for medium-rare (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking.
- 4 Remove steak from pan and cover in foil to rest for 5 minutes, before slicing thickly against the grain. Reserve pan.
- 5 While steak rests, cook vegetables. Heat oil and butter in reserved pan and increase heat to high. Stir-fry broccoli and mushrooms for 3–4 minutes, until just tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, Place hand-cut fries, peppered steak and vegetables onto plates and drizzle with Béarnaise sauce.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2039 kj / 487 kcal
- Protein: 37.3g
- Carbohydrate: 27.5g
- Fat: 24.0g
- Pantry staple