Crispy Salmon with Coconut Rice and Stir-Fried Veggies
A tasty stir-fry to accompany some mouthwatering crispy salmon.
My Family Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Family Food Bag on 25 December 2016.
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- ½ cup coconut milk (shake well before opening)
- 1¾ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon runny honey
- 150g mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 500g salmon fillet, cut into 4–5 pieces
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves and stalks *
- 20g sesame seeds
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional, adults)
- 1 Combine all coconut rice ingredients in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, stir, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 10 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 Cut broccoli into medium florets and dice stem 1cm. Peel carrots, cut in half lengthways then slice 1cm. Combine all coconut sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- 3 Pat salmon dry and remove any pin bones. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook salmon, skin-side-down, for 3 minutes, until skin is crispy. Flip and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Set aside and cover to keep warm. Return pan to medium-high heat.
- 4 If there is excess oil in pan, pour out so you have around 1 tablespoon left in pan. Stir-fry broccoli and carrots for 2–3 minutes, stirring regularly, until just tender. Add water, soy sauce and honey and cook a further 1 minute. Place in a large bowl and toss through mung bean sprouts.
- 5 Return pan to a low heat and add the coconut sauce. Cook for about 1 minute, until heated through.
- To serve, Spoon ¾ cup cooked coconut rice per person onto each plate. Top with stir-fried veggies and a piece of crispy salmon. Drizzle with a little coconut sauce and garnish with coriander, sesame seeds and a squeeze of lime juice (if using).
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2759 kj / 659 kcal
- Protein: 29.3g
- Carbohydrate: 48.0g
- Fat: 38.5g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe