Easy Bean and Veggie Nachos
Crunchy, cheesy, beany and healthy!
My Family Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Family Food Bag on 25 December 2016.
BEAN AND VEGGIE SAUCE
- 1 brown onion, grated or finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and finely diced
- 1½ tablespoons nacho spice mix
- 1 can mild chilli beans
- 1 carton chopped tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 packs corn chips
- ½ cup sour cream *
- ½ cup grated Edam cheese *
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and stalks (optional, adults)
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges (optional, adults)
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Cook onion for 3–4 minutes, until golden. Add carrots and capsicum and cook a further 4–5 minutes, until vegetables are soft (add a splash of water if vegetables start to stick).
- 2 Stir in nacho spice mix, chilli beans and tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes, until sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 Cut avocado in half lengthways and twist halves to separate. Remove stone using a spoon and scoop out flesh. In a small bowl, mash avocado flesh and lemon juice together until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, Place a handful of corn chips into each bowl and spoon over bean and veggie sauce. Top with a spoonful of sour cream and guacamole and a sprinkle of cheese. Garnish with coriander (if using) and squeeze over lemon juice (if using).
- SERVES 5
- Energy: 2500 kj / 598 kcal
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 57.7g
- Fat: 33.2g
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe