Chicken Katsu with Vegetable Brown Rice
Your recipe for two, extra for you, or for two!
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on Sunday, December 25, 2016.
VEGETABLE BROWN RICE
- ½ cup Japanese brown rice
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 baby bok choy, end trimmed 1cm, rinsed and leaves separated
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, cut in half lengthways *
- ½ capsicum *
- 1 spring onion *
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and stalks
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- 300g chicken breast
- ¼ cup flour seasoned with ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs *
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice *
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon runny honey, sugar or maple syrup
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons katsu sauce
- A few coriander leaves
- 1 Combine rice, water and salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid at any time during cooking.
- 2 While rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the meal. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and cut into 1–2cm-thick strips. Place seasoned flour in a bowl, whisk egg with a fork in a second bowl and place panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- 3 Coat each chicken piece first in flour, then egg, then crumbs, shaking off excess as you go. Set aside on a plate. Finely slice bok choy and cucumber; remove core and seeds from capsicum and finely dice; finely slice spring onion. Toss all with coriander and peanuts in a medium bowl.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Cook chicken katsu for about 3 minutes each side, until golden brown and cooked through, adding more oil as needed. If crumb starts to burn, reduce heat.
- 5 Fluff up cooked rice with a fork and add to vegetables. In a small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients together and toss through rice.
- To serve, Spoon vegetable brown rice onto plates and top with some chicken katsu. Serve katsu sauce on the side for dipping and garnish with coriander.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 2613 kj / 625 kcal
- Protein: 49.3g
- Carbohydrate: 76.4g
- Fat: 13.5g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe