Cheat's Schnitzel and Kumara Chips
A kiwi classic!
My Express Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Express Food Bag on Sunday, December 25, 2016.
- 1 bag kumara chips
- 2 teaspoons kumara spice mix
- 2 carrots
- 2 courgettes
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½–1 sachet honey mustard dressing
- 40g panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 550g beef rump steaks (at room temperature)
- 1 pottle horseradish sauce (optional, adults)
- ¼ cup tomato sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 230°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 1 Toss kumara chips, kumara spice mix and a drizzle of olive oil on first prepared tray. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 25 minutes, until golden. Turn once during cooking.
- 2 While kumara cooks, prepare courgette slaw. Grate carrots and courgettes and thinly slice apple into matchsticks or grate. Place in a large bowl along with all remaining courgette slaw ingredients and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 Mix panko crumbs, salt and oil in a small bowl, season with pepper and set aside.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on high heat. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Cook beef for 1 minute each side, until seared but not quite cooked to your liking (it will get grilled afterwards).
- 5 When kumara has about 5 minutes cook time remaining, turn oven grill to high. Place beef on second prepared tray and pack panko crumbs on top. Grill cheat's schnitzel for about 1 minute, (on rack above kumara), until golden. Allow to rest for a few minutes before gently slicing against the grain.
- To serve, Divide kumara chips and cheat's schnitzel between plates and top with a dollop of horseradish sauce or tomato sauce (if using). Serve carrot, courgette and apple slaw on the side.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 2485 kj / 594 kcal
- Protein: 36.2g
- Carbohydrate: 46.3g
- Fat: 28.2g
- Pantry staple