Mexican Beef Bowl with Chilli Rice and Beans
A delicious and easy Mexi dish!
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, January 15, 2017.
CHILLI RICE AND BEANS
- 1¼ cup brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1¾ cups water
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons mexican chilli spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 600g beef rump steaks (at room temperature)
- 1-2 tablespoons Mexican spice
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- ¼ red onion (optional)
- ½ iceberg lettuce *
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine, cider)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 pinches of chilli flakes (optional)
- Preheat BBQ grill to high (if using).
- 1 Combine rice, water, first measure of red onion and salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 While rice cooks, pat beef dry with paper towels, lightly coat in Mexican spice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate.
- 3 While beef marinates, prepare salsa. Dice tomato, avocado and cucumber 2cm; finely slice remaining red onion (if using); finely shred lettuce. Mix in a large bowl with vinegar and a drizzle of oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 4 When rice has 12 minutes remaining, heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook beef 2–3 minutes each side for medium rare, (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Remove from pan and set aside, covered in foil, to rest for about 5 minutes.
- 5 When rice has finished cooking, stir through black chilli beans. Cover and set aside 2–3 minutes, until beans have warmed through. Slice beef thinly against the grain.
- To serve, Spoon ¾ cup cooked chilli rice and beans into bowls and top with slices of Mexican beef and salsa. Dollop with sour cream and sprinkle with chilli flakes (if using).
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2841 kj / 679 kcal
- Protein: 39.6g
- Carbohydrate: 60.6g
- Fat: 30.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe