Pork and Sage Filo Rolls with Salad
These tasty little rolls can be rolled and stored, uncooked, in the fridge the night before to speed things up.
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, January 1, 2017.
PORK AND SAGE FILO ROLLS
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 600g pork and sage grind
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 15 sheets filo pastry
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds *
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ iceberg lettuce
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes *
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- tomato sauce or chutney (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat and cook onion and carrot for about 6 minutes, until soft. Remove from pan and allow to cool slightly. Place pork grind, cooked vegetables and breadcrumbs in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- 2 Using clean hands, mix until well combined, then divide the mixture into ten portions. Place 1 sheet filo on a clean bench, with long end facing you. Brush with olive oil or butter and place another two sheets on top. Cut filo sheets in half vertically.
- 3 Place 1 portion of pork mixture onto one of the cut halves of filo, on the bottom half of the sheet. Shape pork mixture into a sausage, allowing 3–4cm clear from the edges. Roll over once, tuck in all the sides of filo and roll up into a tight parcel. Repeat steps to make a total of 10 rolls.
- 4 Place filo rolls onto prepared tray, seam-side-down. Lightly brush with olive oil/ butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- 5 In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and mix well. Roughly chop lettuce; cut tomatoes in half; cut cucumber in half lengthways and thinly slice. Add to bowl with dressing and toss to combine just before serving.
- To serve, Place 1–2 pork and sage filo rolls on each plate. Add a dollop of tomato sauce or chutney (if using) and serve salad on the side.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2761 kj / 660 kcal
- Protein: 37.0g
- Carbohydrate: 64.7g
- Fat: 27.7g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe