Spinach Spaghetti with Bacon and Broccoli
Delicious bacon spaghetti!
My Classic Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic Food Bag on 1 January 2017.
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g short cut bacon, diced
- 250g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 400g fresh spinach spaghetti
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets and stalk finely chopped
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook onions, garlic and bacon for 6–7 minutes, until starting to colour.
- 2 Add mushrooms and thyme and cook a further 2–3 minutes, gradually adding stock and using a wooden spoon to unstick any browning veggies from the bottom of the pan
- 3 While veggies are browning, shake spaghetti to separate strands and cook in pot of boiling water for about 4 minutes, until just tender. When pasta has 1 minute cook time remaining, add broccoli.
- 4 Reserve ¼ cup of pasta cooking water then drain spaghetti and broccoli. Return both to pot with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- 5 Stir cream and reserved pasta water through vegetables and bacon and bring to a gentle simmer. Once simmering, remove from heat and add to drained spaghetti and broccoli. Toss to coat and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, Divide spinach spaghetti between plates and garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2230 kj / 533 kcal
- Protein: 29.3g
- Carbohydrate: 52.6g
- Fat: 22.6g
- Pantry staple