Crunchy Lemon Fish Nuggets with Slaw and Veggie Fries
Keep slaw plain for super fussy eaters, or dress with just mayonnaise.
My Family Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Family Food Bag on Sunday, January 1, 2017.
- 600g potatoes, scrubbed *
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (zest reserved)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine, cider)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cabbage, finely shredded, until you have about 4 cups worth
- 1 apple, grated
CRUNCHY LEMON FISH NUGGETS
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 450g fish fillets
- 2–3 tablespoons oil
- Half a lemon, cut into wedges (optional, adults)
- Tomato sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 1 Cut potatoes into 1cm-thick chips. Trim ends off carrots, halve then cut into 2cmthick sticks. Place veggie chips onto prepared trays and toss with olive oil and salt. Bake for 25 minutes, until tender and golden. Turn once to ensure even cooking.
- 2 While veggie fries are cooking, prepare slaw. Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar and salt together in a large bowl, until salt and sugar are dissolved. Add cabbage and apple and toss to combine. Set aside.
- 3 Mix breadcrumbs and lemon zest in a bowl. Whisk egg and milk in another bowl. Place flour in a third bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pat fish dry and remove any remaining scales or bones. Cut fillets into 4cm pieces.
- 4 Toss fish pieces first in flour then in egg mixture, dipping a few pieces at a time, followed by breadcrumbs, shaking off excess as you go. Repeat with remaining fish pieces and set aside.
- 5 When veggie fries have about 8 minutes cook time remaining, heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook fish nuggets, in batches, for about 2 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Add extra oil if needed.
- To serve, Place veggie fries, slaw and crunchy lemon fish nuggets onto plates. Squeeze lemon juice over fish right before eating (if using) and serve with tomato sauce for dipping (if using).
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2370 kj / 566 kcal
- Protein: 29.4g
- Carbohydrate: 55.9g
- Fat: 24.1g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe