Thai Satay Chicken Salad with Jasmine Rice
For the little ones, slice the chicken into thin pieces and serve with a bowl of warm rice
My Family Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Family Food Bag on Sunday, January 1, 2017.
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- 2¼ cups water
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1–2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- ½ can coconut cream
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 550g chicken thighs
- 1 baby cos lettuce, sliced into quarters
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled and halved lengthways
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and thickly sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g natural yoghurt
- ½ can coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves *
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Line a tray with baking paper.
- 1 Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 In small bowl mix together peanut butter, chilli sauce, first measure of coconut cream, garlic, fish sauce and lemon juice with a fork, until the paste is thick and well blended.
- 3 Trim any excess fat from chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Place chicken onto prepared tray (leaving plenty of space between each piece) and spread a thick layer of satay paste on each thigh.
- 4 Place tray on top rack of the oven to cook for 15 minutes, until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and rest for 5–8 minutes. Place all salad ingredients on a large platter, scattering over spring onions.
- 5 Whisk yoghurt, coconut cream, lemon juice and mint together in a small bowl and season well with salt and pepper. When chicken has cooled a little, add to salad platter.
- To serve, Spoon ¾ cup cooked jasmine rice per person onto plates. Divide salad and satay chicken between plates and drizzle over dressing. Squeeze with lemon juice, just before serving.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2069 kj / 495 kcal
- Protein: 33.0g
- Carbohydrate: 46.1g
- Fat: 19.5g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe