Citrus Bacon-Wrapped Chicken with Balsamic Vegetables
Be sure to wrap your bacon around chicken as tight as possible.
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on 1 January 2017.
CITRUS BACON-WRAPPED CHICKEN
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest *
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves *
- 200g chicken breast
- 2 rashers streaky bacon *
- 6 toothpicks
- 1–2 teaspoons butter
- ½ punnet Swiss brown mushrooms *
- ¼ head broccoli, cut into florets *
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes *
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon brown sugar or runny honey
- 1/3 bag baby spinach leaves *
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper
- 1 Combine lemon zest, basil and a drizzle of olive oil in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Make a cut into the breast by placing your hand flat on top of chicken and slicing through horizontally, about two-thirds of the way, so breast is still whole.
- 2 Open up and spread basil lemon mixture in pocket of chicken, then fold over so it looks whole again. Wrap 2 rashers of bacon tightly around chicken breast, covering it completely. Secure from top to bottom with toothpicks.
- 3 Heat butter in a small fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken for about 1 minute each side (there should be 3–4 sides as the bacon wrapping creates a rolled look, remove toothpicks, if needed, as you cook), until golden brown. Place on prepared tray.
- 4 Toss whole mushrooms, broccoli and cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, sugar/honey and a drizzle of olive oil on same tray. Season with salt and roast chicken and vegetables for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- 5 Remove chicken and vegetables from oven, cover chicken and rest for 5 minutes. Toss spinach through balsamic vegetables. Remove any remaining toothpicks from chicken and slice into 3-4 pieces.
- To serve, Place balsamic vegetables onto a plate and top with citrus baconwrapped chicken.
- SERVES 1
- Energy: 1940 kj / 464 kcal
- Protein: 57.3g
- Carbohydrate: 5.9g
- Fat: 22.3g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe