Spinach Spaghetti with Bacon and Broccoli
Delicious bacon spaghetti!
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on 1 January 2017.
SPINACH SPAGHETTI WITH BACON AND BROCCOLI
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 rashers streaky bacon, diced *
- ½ punnet Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced *
- ½ cup vegetable stock, chicken stock or water
- 200g fresh spinach spaghetti
- ¾ head broccoli, stalks and florets finely chopped *
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/3 bag baby spinach leaves *
- 2 tablespoons picked basil leaves *
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 lemon wedges *
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook shallot, garlic and bacon for 6–7 minutes, until starting to colour. Add mushrooms and cook a further 2–3 minutes, gradually adding stock/water and using a wooden spoon to unstick any browning veggies from the bottom of the pan.
- 2 While veggies are browning, shake spaghetti to separate strands and cook pasta in pot of boiling waterfor about 3 minutes, until just tender. When pasta has 1 minute cook time remaining, add broccoli.
- 3 Reserve ¼ cup of pasta cooking water then drain spaghetti and broccoli. Return both to pot with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- 4 Stir reserved pasta water and sour cream through vegetables and bacon and simmer for about 1 minute, until sauce is smooth. Stir through spinach and allow to wilt.
- 5 Remove sauce from heat, add spaghetti and broccoli to sauce and gently toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, Divide spinach spaghetti between plates and top with basil and pine nuts. Serve lemon wedge on side to squeeze over just before serving.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 2658 kj / 635 kcal
- Protein: 33.3g
- Carbohydrate: 59.2g
- Fat: 27.3g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe