Creamy Tomato and Basil Spaghetti with Salad
Sour cream and parmesan spaghetti with basil pasta sauce.
My Family Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Family Food Bag on Sunday, January 8, 2017.
CREAMY TOMATO AND BASIL SPAGHETTI
- 350–400g dried spaghetti
- 1 head broccoli, florets and stalk finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, diced 1cm
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 jar tomato passata
- ½ cup sour cream *
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves and stalks
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 1 avocado
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (e.g. white wine, red wine)
- ¼ teaspoon runny honey
- ¼ teaspoon mustard (e.g. Dijon, wholegrain)
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 25g toasted pine nuts
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- 1 Cook pasta in pot of boiling water for 8–10 minutes, until just tender. When 1–2 minutes cook time remains, add broccoli to the pot.
- 2 While pasta is cooking, prepare the rest of the meal. Thinly slice lettuce; slice avocado flesh 1cm; cut cucumber in half lengthways and thinly slice. Place all in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- 3 Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Cook onion for 2–3 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook a further 1 minute. Add stock and tomato passata and bring to a simmer. Add sour cream and stir to combine.
- 4 Reserve ½ cup pasta water then drain pasta and broccoli. Add pasta and broccoli to pan with creamy tomato basil sauce, along with parsley and Parmesan and gently toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 If sauce is too thick, add 1–2 tablespoons reserved pasta water at a time, until it reaches desired consistency. Toss salad with dressing just before serving.
- To serve, Divide creamy tomato and basil spaghetti between plates or bowls and serve salad on the side. Garnish with basil and pine nuts.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2496 kj / 597 kcal
- Protein: 22.9g
- Carbohydrate: 65.1g
- Fat: 24.9g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe