Smoky Chicken with BBQ Corn and Avocado Soft Tacos
A quick and easy meal to share!
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on 12 February 2017.
BBQ CORN AND AVOCADO
- 1 corn cob, husk and silk removed
- ½ avocado
- 1 tomato
- ¼ red onion *
- Zest and juice of ½ lime
- 300g chicken thighs
- 1 ½ teaspoons tinga taco spice mix
- ½ red onion *
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can cherry tomatoes
- 1 sachet chipotle sauce
- 4 tortillas
- 1-2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 220oC. Preheat BBQ hot plate or grill to high (if using).
- 1 Heat a large, dry fry-pan on medium-high heat. Drizzle corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear corn for about 8 minutes, until charred and tender, turning occasionally. When cool enough to handle, stand corn on its end and use a sharp knife to slice down to remove kernels.
- 2 Reserve pan. While corn cooks, pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with tinga taco spice mix. Set aside and prepare rest of BBQ corn and avocado. In a medium bowl mash avocado with a fork. Dice tomato 1cm and finely chop red onion. Add to bowl with avocado, along with corn kernels and lime.
- 3 Drizzle BBQ corn and avocado with olive oil, toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in reserved pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden. Remove from pan and set aside (chicken does not need to be cooked through yet).
- 4 While chicken cooks, finely dice onion and garlic. Reduce heat to low-medium, add a drizzle of oil, onion and garlic to pan used to cook chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, until starting to soften. Add cherry tomatoes and lightly crush. Add chipotle sauce, chicken and any resting juices. Bring to a simmer.
- 5 Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven for 5 minutes. Remove cooked chicken from sauce and let cool slightly, before roughly shredding with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to sauce and season to taste.
- To serve, place two tortillas onto each plate and top with smoky chicken. Spoon over BBQ corn and avocado and dollop over ricotta cheese.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 2646 kj / 632 kcal
- Protein: 41.0g
- Carbohydrate: 56.4g
- Fat: 25.0g
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe