Thai Chicken Patties with Asian Slaw and Coconut Rice
This fresh Asian dish is the perfect way to end the week!
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on Sunday, February 5, 2017.
- 3/4 cup Japanese brown rice
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons thread coconut
THAI CHICKEN PATTIES
- ½ egg, lightly whisked
- 2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste
- 300g chicken mince
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Zest of ½ lime
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons chopped coriander leaves *
- 1 baby bok choy, end trimmed 1cm, rinsed and leaves separated
- ½ courgette *
- ½ Lebanese cucumber *
- ½ pear *
- Juice of ½ lemon *
- 1-2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce (optional)
- ½ lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat BBQ hot plate to high (if using)
- 1 Combine rice, water, coconut and a pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 While rice cooks, prepare Thai chicken patties. Place egg and Thai green curry paste into a medium bowl and whisk with a fork. Add remaining Thai chicken patty ingredients to bowl and mix to combine. Place into fridge to firm up while making the slaw.
- 3 Finely slice bok choy; grate courgette; peel cucumber into long, thin ribbons, stopping when you reach the core (discard core and seeds); cut pear into quarters lengthways, remove core and finely slice.
- 4 Add all to a medium bowl, along with lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Add tablespoon -size amounts of mixture to pan, pressing down lightly to form 0.5cm-thick patties. Cook, in batches, for 1-2 minutes each side, or until cooked through and browned.
- To serve, Spoon ¾ cup cooked coconut rice per person onto plates. Divide Thai chicken patties and Asian slaw between plates and dollop sweet chilli sauce on the side (if desired). Squeeze over lime juice.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 1930 kj / 461 kcal
- Protein: 35.4g
- Carbohydrate: 48.2g
- Fat: 14.2g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe