Aztec-Spiced Chicken with Super Food Quinoa Salad and Chimichurri
Enjoy this delicious superfood salad which is full of goodness!
My Gourmet Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Gourmet Food Bag on Sunday, February 26, 2017.
SUPERFOOD QUINOA SALAD
- ¾ cup red quinoa
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 3 teaspoons vinegar (e.g. red wine, balsamic)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 beetroot
- 1 carrot
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves *
- 50g spicy pepitas
- 300g chicken breast
- 1½ tablespoons Aztec spice mix
- 80g chimichurri
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Preheat BBQ grill to medium (if using).
- 1 Cook quinoa in pot of boiling water for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Drain well and return to pot, cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to steam for a further 5 minutes.
- 2 Pat chicken dry with paper towels and cut into steaks. To do this, place your hand flat on top of chicken breast and use a knife to slice through horizontally to make two thin steaks. Drizzle chicken with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and Aztec spice mix. Set aside.
- 3 In a large bowl whisk to combine honey, mustard, vinegar and olive oil together. Peel and grate beetroot and carrot and roughly chop spinach. Add all to bowl with dressing, along with pepitas, season with salt and pepper mix well to combine.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side, until just cooked. Cover with foil and rest for a few minutes before slicing thickly.
- 5 When quinoa has finished steaming add to bowl with salad and mix to combine.
- To serve, divide superfood quinoa salad between plates and top with Aztec-spiced chicken. Drizzle over chimichurri.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2638 kj / 630 kcal
- Protein: 38.6g
- Carbohydrate: 50.6g
- Fat: 28.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe