Chermoula-Spiced Haloumi with Cauliflower and Freekeh Salad
Chermoula is a super tasty spice blend to go with this haloumi
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, February 26, 2017.
CAULIFLOWER AND FREEKEH
- 100g freekeh
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 block haloumi cheese
- 1 tablespoon chermoula spice mix
- 1 teaspoon tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine, cider)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 radishes *
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- 1 nectarine
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves *
- 2-3 tablespoons mint leaves *
- 50g savoury sprinkle
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Preheat BBQ hot plate to medium (if using).
- 1 Cook freekeh in pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes. While freekeh is cooking, cut cauliflower into large florets and then grate until you have 2-3 cups worth.
- 2 When freekeh has 1 minute cook time remaining, add grated cauliflower to pot and cook a further 1 minute, until freekeh is tender with a slight bite. Drain through a sieve, rinse under cold tap and leave to drain well. Shake sieve to help drain.
- 3 While freekeh is cooking, cut haloumi into 1cm-thick slices and place on a plate. Coat both sides well with chermoula spice mix and a drizzle of oil. Set aside to marinate.
- 4 In a large bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients together. Finely dice radishes; cut cucumber into quarters lengthways and thinly slice; cut nectarine into thin wedges (discarding stone); roughly chop spinach and mint. Place all into bowl with dressing.
- 5 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook haloumi for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden. Toss cooked freekeh and cauliflower in bowl with salad veggies and dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide cauliflower and freekeh salad between plates. Top with chermoula haloumi and sprinkle over savoury sprinkle.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2555 kj / 611 kcal
- Protein: 28.4g
- Carbohydrate: 39.4g
- Fat: 37.3g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe