Chia and Coconut-Crusted Chicken with Sweet Chilli Yoghurt
This chicken is coated with a nutritious crumb of chia seeds and coconut
My Gluten-Free Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Gluten-Free Food Bag on Sunday, February 26, 2017.
ROAST VEGGIE SALAD
- 600g red kumara, scrubbed and diced 2-3cm
- 2 carrots, cut in half lengthways then sliced 1cm
- ¾ red onion, cut into 1.5cm-thick wedges *
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and thinly sliced
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves *
CHIA AND COCONUT-CRUSTED CHICKEN
- 550g chicken breasts
- ½ cup GF flour seasoned with 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¾ cup GF panko breadcrumbs
- 40g GF chia and coconut mix
SWEET CHILLI YOGHURT
- 150g natural yoghurt
- 1-2 tablespoons GF mild sweet chilli sauce
- Preheat oven to 220oC. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Preheat BBQ hot plate to medium-high (if using).
- 1 Toss kumara, carrots and onion on prepared tray with a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 18 minutes. Toss through capsicum and roast for a further 7 minutes, until all veggies are tender. Turn once during cooking. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- 2 While veggies are cooking, prepare chicken. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and cut into steaks. To do this, place your hand flat on top of chicken breast and use a knife to slice through horizontally to make 2 thin steaks.
- 3 Place seasoned flour in a bowl, whisk egg with milk in a second bowl and mix breadcrumbs with chia and coconut mix in a third bowl. Coat each piece of chicken first in flour, then egg mixture, then breadcrumb mixture, shaking off excess as you go.
- 4 Heat a good drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for about 2 minutes each side (depending on thickness), or until cooked through. Wipe out pan and add extra oil between batches, if needed. Set chicken aside to rest for 2–3 minutes.
- 5 In a small bowl, combine yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce. Set aside. Toss baby spinach leaves on tray with roast veggies and season to taste with salt and pepper. Slice chicken thickly.
- To serve, divide roast veggie salad and slices of chia and coconut-crusted chicken between plates. Serve with a dollop of sweet chilli yoghurt.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2288 kj / 547 kcal
- Protein: 36.6g
- Carbohydrate: 63.8g
- Fat: 15.0g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe