Pork Steam Buns with Cucumber Salad
Super-fast, simple, elegant and unbelievably delicious!
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on Sunday, February 26, 2017.
- 4 gua bao steam buns, frozen
- 300g pork scotch fillet (at room temperature)
- 1/3 telegraph cucumber *
- ½ courgette *
- 1-2 spring onions *
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- ¼ chilli, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon picked coriander leaves
- Preheat BBQ hot plate or grill to high (if using).
- 1 Make 3 large, equal sized balls of foil and arrange in a triangle at the bottom of a large pot. Line a small, heat-proof plate with baking paper and place buns on top (being careful that they don’t touch). Place plate on top of foil balls, then fill pot with water to just below plate.
- 2 Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid and steam for about 10 minutes, until buns are warm and fluffy.
- 3 Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry-pan on medium-high heat. Pat pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until just cooked through. Remove from pan and cover in foil to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- 4 While pork cooks, prepare cucumber salad. Very thinly slice cucumber, courgette and spring onion. Add to a medium bowl along with all remaining cucumber salad ingredients. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 Once pork has rested, slice very thinly against the grain.
- To serve, divide steam buns between plates, open buns and add a dollop of hoisin sauce, top with pork slices, cucumber salad and picked coriander leaves. Serve any remaining cucumber salad on the side.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 2417 kj / 578 kcal
- Protein: 36.9g
- Carbohydrate: 56.3g
- Fat: 22.8g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe