Huli-Huli Chicken with Pineapple Rice and Pickled Cucumber Salad
This Hawaiian dish will be your new favourite!
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on 19 February 2017.
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 1¼ cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons pineapple chilli chutney
- 300g chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
PICKLED CUCUMBER SALAD
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (e.g. white wine, red wine, cider)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 telegraph cucumber *
- 1 courgette
- ½ baby cos lettuce, leaves separated *
- Preheat BBQ hot plate or grill to high (if using).
- 1 Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat, quickly add pineapple chutney, cover again and leave to steam for a further 8 minutes.
- 2 While rice cooks, prepare hulihuli chicken. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and combine all huli-huli chicken ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside to marinate in fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- 3 While chicken marinates, prepare pickled cucumber salad. Combine vinegar, water and sugar in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, remove from heat. Set aside. Cut cucumber in half lengthways then thinly slice and very thinly slice courgette into discs.
- 4 Add to pot with pickling liquor and stir to coat. Set aside. Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry-pan on low-medium heat. Shake off marinade (and reserve) and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until starting to caramelise.
- 5 Reduce heat to low, add reserved chicken marinade and simmer for 2-3 minutes, basting a few times, until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thick and glazed. Remove chicken thighs and set aside to rest, covered with foil, for 2-3 minutes. Slice chicken thickly against the grain.
- To serve, Divide cos lettuce cups between plates and fill with pickled cucumber salad. Divide pineapple rice between plates and top with huli-huli chicken. Drizzle over any remaining marinade.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 2735 kj / 654 kcal
- Protein: 32.0g
- Carbohydrate: 66.0g
- Fat: 23.2g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe