Mongolian Lamb Stir-Fry with Brown Rice
An authentic Mongolian sauce full of delicious flavour
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, March 26, 2017.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ½ red onion *
- 1 carrot
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed
- 1 baby bok choy, end trimmed 1cm, rinsed and leaves separated
- Reserved Mongolian sauce
- 600g lamb leg steaks (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Mongolian sauce
- 1-2 spring onions *
- 2 pinches of chilli flakes (optional, adults)
- PREHEAT BBQ grill to medium-high heat (if using).
- 1 Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 Mix all Mongolian sauce ingredients in a small pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes, until slightly reduced and thickened. While sauce is cooking, finely slice red onion, carrot, capsicum and bok choy, keeping leaves and stalk separate. Set aside.
- 3 Pat lamb dry and toss in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of Mongolian sauce (reserve remaining). Season with salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook lamb for about 2 minutes each side for medium-rare (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking.
- 4 Set lamb aside, covered with foil, to rest for 4–5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain. Wipe pan clean with paper towels and return pan to high heat with a drizzle of oil. Stir-fry red onion and carrot for 1–2 minutes, tossing often, until softened.
- 5 Add capsicum, bok choy stalk and reserved Mongolian sauce. Stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, until vegetables are tender but still have a crunch. Toss through bok choy leaves, thinly sliced lamb and any resting juices. Toss for about 1 minute, until warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE spoon ¾ cup of cooked brown rice per person into each bowl and top with Mongolian lamb stir-fry. Garnish with spring onions and chilli flakes (if using).
- SERVES 4–5
- Energy: 2108 kj / 504 kcal
- Protein: 29.2g
- Carbohydrate: 50.9g
- Fat: 20.7g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe