Mongolian Lamb Stir-Fry with Brown Rice
An authentic Mongolian sauce full of delicious flavour
My Classic Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic Food Bag on 26 March 2017.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ½ red onion *
- 1 carrot
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed
- 1 baby bok choy, end trimmed 1cm, rinsed and leaves separated
- Reserved Mongolian sauce
- 600g lamb leg steaks (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Mongolian sauce
- 1-2 spring onions *
- 2 pinches of chilli flakes (optional, adults)
- PREHEAT BBQ grill to medium-high heat (if using).
- 1 Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 Mix all Mongolian sauce ingredients in a small pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes, until slightly reduced and thickened. While sauce is cooking, finely slice red onion, carrot, capsicum and bok choy, keeping leaves and stalk separate. Set aside.
- 3 Pat lamb dry and toss in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of Mongolian sauce (reserve remaining). Season with salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook lamb for about 2 minutes each side for medium-rare (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking.
- 4 Set lamb aside, covered with foil, to rest for 4–5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain. Wipe pan clean with paper towels and return pan to high heat with a drizzle of oil. Stir-fry red onion and carrot for 1–2 minutes, tossing often, until softened.
- 5 Add capsicum, bok choy stalk and reserved Mongolian sauce. Stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, until vegetables are tender but still have a crunch. Toss through bok choy leaves, thinly sliced lamb and any resting juices. Toss for about 1 minute, until warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE spoon ¾ cup of cooked brown rice per person into each bowl and top with Mongolian lamb stir-fry. Garnish with spring onions and chilli flakes (if using).
- SERVES 4–5
- Energy: 2108 kj / 504 kcal
- Protein: 29.2g
- Carbohydrate: 50.9g
- Fat: 20.7g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe