Beef Eye Fillet with Roasted Vegetables and Red Pepper Hummus
The spicy sunflower seeds add a beautiful, nutty texture to this dish
My Gourmet Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Gourmet Food Bag on Sunday, March 26, 2017.
HONEY ROASTED VEGETABLES
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 400g orange kumara, peeled and diced 1cm
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
BEEF EYE FILLET
- 300g beef eye fillet steak (at room temperature)
- ½ telegraph cucumber, diced 1cm
- 1-2 spring onions
- 100g red pepper hummus
- 40g spicy sunflower seeds
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Preheat BBQ grill to high (if using).
- 1 Toss cauliflower and kumara on prepared tray with honey and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 25 minutes, until cauliflower and kumara are tender and starting to caramelise. Turn once during cooking to ensure even browning.
- 2 Dice cucumber 1cm and thinly slice spring onions on an angle.
- 3 Remove any plastic from the steak, pat dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large (preferably heavy-based) fry-pan on high heat.
- 4 When the pan is very hot (smoking) cook steak for 2 minutes each side, then a further 1 minute around the sides of the steak, until golden brown all over.
- 5 When steak is golden brown on all sides, transfer to tray with vegetables to cook for 2 minutes for medium-rare (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Remove beef from oven tray, wrap in foil and allow to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing thickly against the grain.
- TO SERVE place a dollop of red pepper hummus onto each plate and scatter around honey roasted vegetables. Top with slices of beef eye fillet and sprinkle over cucumber, spring onions and spicy sunflower seeds.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2366 kj / 565 kcal
- Protein: 40.1g
- Carbohydrate: 57.8g
- Fat: 17.4g
- Pantry staple