Malaysian Pumpkin and Coconut Peanut Curry
A perfect balance of zesty, crunchy and fragrant flavours
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Veggie Food Bag on 26 March 2017.
MALAYSIAN PUMPKIN AND COCONUT PEANUT CURRY
- ½ brown onion, finely diced
- 400g peeled pumpkin, diced 1.5cm
- 1 tablespoon Malaysian curry paste
- 1 sachet peanut butter
- 1 can coconut milk (shake well before opening)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 courgettes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1½ cups water
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- ½ lime
- 100g mung bean sprouts
- 10g thread coconut
- 50g whole, roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons picked coriander leaves
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pot on medium-high heat. Cook onion and pumpkin for 2-3 minutes, until onion is soft. Add curry paste, peanut butter and ¼ can of the coconut milk and cook for about 1 minute, stirring, until fragrant and combined.
- 2 While onion and pumpkin are cooking, combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 3 Add remaining coconut milk and brown sugar to pot. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until pumpkin is tender.
- 4 While pumpkin is cooking, prepare veggies. Cut courgettes in half lengthways and thinly slice; cut cucumber into 1cm x 5cm sticks; cut second measure of lime into wedges. Set all aside.
- 5 When curry has 5 minutes cook time remaining, add courgettes and cook until tender. Stir through soy sauce and lime juice.
- TO SERVE spoon ¾ cup cooked rice into bowls and top with a big spoonful of Malaysian pumpkin and coconut peanut curry. Garnish with a handful of mung bean sprouts, cucumber sticks, thread coconut, peanuts and coriander leaves.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2661 kj / 636 kcal
- Protein: 16.5g
- Carbohydrate: 53.0g
- Fat: 38.9g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe