Pumpkin Seed Chicken with Mediterranean Vegetables and Feta
Zip over to the Mediterranean with these flavour combinations
My Express Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Express Food Bag on 26 March 2017.
- 1 bag chopped pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Mediterranean spice mix
- 1 capsicum
- 1 courgette
- ¼-½ block feta cheese
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves OR ½ bunch silverbeet, leaves and stalks separated
PUMPKIN SEED CHICKEN
- 1 packet chicken tenders
- 1 sachet chopped pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons Mediterranean spice mix (optional, adults)
- 1 pottle natural yoghurt
- PREHEAT oven to 230°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Set aside a medium baking dish (approx. 20 x 25cm).
- 1 Dice pumpkin 2cm and toss on prepared tray with olive oil and first measure of Mediterranean spice mix. Season with pepper and cook for about 25 minutes, until tender. Turn once during cooking.
- 2 While pumpkin cooks, remove core and seeds from capsicum and slice into 1cm-thick strips. Cut courgette in half widthways then into 1cm-thick sticks. Set aside.
- 3 Pat chicken dry with paper towels and toss in a bowl with chopped pumpkin seeds, second measure of Mediterranean spice mix (if using) and a drizzle of oil. Press pumpkin seeds onto chicken and set aside. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat.
- 4 Cook capsicum and courgette in pan for about 2 minutes, until almost tender. Transfer veggies to prepared baking dish and return pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook pumpkin seed chicken, in batches, for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden but not cooked through.
- 5 Place chicken (and any seeds from pan) on top of veggies in baking dish and crumble over feta. Bake for about 4 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Toss baby spinach OR thinly slice silverbeet leaves and toss onto tray with cooked pumpkin.
- TO SERVE divide spinach and pumpkin between plates and top with veggies and pumpkin seed chicken. Top chicken with a dollop of yoghurt.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1863 kj / 445 kcal
- Protein: 41.4g
- Carbohydrate: 15.6g
- Fat: 23.4g
- Pantry staple