Shaking Beef Salad with Brown Rice
Tasty beef salad with mouth-watering Vietnamese flavours
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, April 9, 2017.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 600g beef rump steaks (at room temperature)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- ½ bag mesclun salad *
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons mint leaves, roughly torn
- ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 Prepare shaking beef. Pat beef dry with paper towels and slice into strips, 2cm x 7cm. Mince garlic and place in a medium bowl with all remaining shaking beef ingredients (including beef) and stir to coat well. Season with pepper and set aside to marinate.
- 3 Cut tomatoes into thin wedges and cut carrot into thin matchsticks (or grate). Place in a large bowl with mesclun. Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 4 When rice has 5 minutes steam time remaining, heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan or wok on high heat until just smoking. Cook beef, in two batches, for about 30-60 seconds, until beef is cooked medium-rare and slightly charred. Shaking the pan constantly helps to cook the beef quickly.
- 5 Just before serving, add dressing to bowl with veggies and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE place salad on a large platter, top with shaking beef and drizzle over any resting juices. Garnish with mint and chopped peanuts. Serve brown rice on the side.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2093 kj / 500 kcal
- Protein: 39.8g
- Carbohydrate: 49.9g
- Fat: 15.9g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe