Tarragon Chicken with Lemon, Spinach and Leek Bulgur
Lemon yoghurt compliments this dish perfectly.
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, 30 April 2017.
LEMON, SPINACH AND LEEK BULGUR
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 leek, white and pale green part only, quartered lengthways and finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups bulgur wheat
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1½ cups water
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped *
- Zest of 1 lemon (reserve 1 teaspoon for lemon yoghurt)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 600g chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon tarragon spice mix
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half *
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Heat butter and a drizzle of oil in a medium pot on medium heat. Cook leek and salt for 3–4 minutes, until soft. Add bulgur, stir and cook for 1 minute, until coated. Add stock and water and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce to lowest heat and cook for 8 minutes.
- 2 Remove from heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking. Once cooked, fluff up grains with a fork and gently fold through spinach, lemon zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 While bulgur is cooking, prepare the rest of the meal. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and slice each breast, lengthways, into 1.5–2cmwide strips. Add to a medium bowl with tarragon spice mix, mustard, honey and olive oil, season with salt and mix to coat well.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2–3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until browned and cooked through. Set aside, covered in foil, to rest while you cook tomatoes.
- 5 Wipe pan clean with a paper towel, add a drizzle of olive oil and return to medium-high heat. Cook cherry tomatoes for 1–2 minutes, until starting to blister, shake pan occasionally. In a small bowl, combine yoghurt and lemon zest.
- TO SERVE divide lemon, spinach and leek bulgur between plates and top with chicken and cherry tomatoes. Dollop with lemon yoghurt.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 1914 kj / 457 kcal
- Protein: 37.6g
- Carbohydrate: 34.2g
- Fat: 16.9g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe