Zesty Haloumi with Pomegranate, Sumac and Mint Dressing
Fresh and delicious.
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, April 30, 2017.
SPICED VEGETABLES AND COUSCOUS
- 200g peeled pumpkin, diced 1cm
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1cm-thick wedges
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and sliced 1cm
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice mix
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- ¾ cup couscous
- 30g chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves *
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (reserve zest)
- 200g haloumi cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 80g veggie pomegranate sumac and mint dressing
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, finely chopped
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 1 Toss pumpkin, onion and capsicum with pumpkin spice mix and a drizzle of oil on prepared tray. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 20 minutes, until veggies are tender and starting to caramelise. Turn once during cooking.
- 2 While veggies roast, bring stock to the boil in a medium pot with a lid on. Add couscous and dates, stir, cover and remove from heat. Leave to steam for 5 minutes before fluffing up grains with a fork. Finely chop first and second measures of mint leaves and set aside separately.
- 3 Pat haloumi dry with paper towels. Place on a board with the long end facing you and cut into 1cm-thick slices. Place flour and lemon zest in a bowl and lightly whisk egg in a second bowl. Toss haloumi first in flour, then in egg, then back through the flour, shaking off excess as you go.
- 4 When veggies have about 7 minutes cook time remaining, heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on a medium heat. Cook haloumi for about 2 minutes each side, until browned and cooked through.
- 5 While haloumi cooks, roughly chop spinach. Add spinach to pot with the cooked couscous, along with lemon juice, first measure of mint leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE spoon spiced vegetables and couscous onto plates. Top with zesty haloumi and a drizzle of pomegranate, sumac and mint dressing. Sprinkle with remaining mint leaves.
- SERVES 3
- Energy: 2787 kj / 666 kcal
- Protein: 30.1g
- Carbohydrate: 56.7g
- Fat: 34.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe