Open Beef Sammies with Caramelised Onions and Béarnaise Sauce
A quick and delicious midweek meal.
My Gluten-Free Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Gluten-Free Food Bag on Sunday, 30 April 2017.
- 400g potatoes, scrubbed and diced 2cm
- 1 brown onion
- 2 tablespoons GF balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
BEEF AND SALAD
- 550g beef rump steaks (at room temperature)
- 1 tomato
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- ½ bag mesclun leaves *
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon GF vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine, cider)
- 1 GF rosemary flattie
- 80g Béarnaise sauce (at room temperature)
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 1 Toss roasties on prepared tray with a drizzle of oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden and tender. Turn once during cooking. While roasties are cooking, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a small pot on medium heat.
- 2 While oil is heating, slice onion very thinly. Cook onion, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until soft and starting to colour. Add vinegar and sugar, stir, reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for about 10 minutes, until thick and glossy. Stir often to avoid burning.
- 3 Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook beef for about 2 minutes each side for mediumrare (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Set aside, covered in foil, to rest for 5 minutes.
- 4 When roasties have 10 minutes cook time remaining, cut flattie into 2-3 pieces widthways, then carefully slice horizontally through the middle. Push roasties to one side of the tray and place flattie, cut-sides facing up, on other side of tray.
- 5 Return tray to oven to bake for final 8 minutes of cook time (for roasties), until flattie is lightly toasted. Thinly slice tomato and cucumber and add to a large bowl with mesclun, oil and vinegar. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper. Slice beef thinly against the grain.
- TO SERVE top a piece of rosemary flattie with caramelised onions, slices of beef and a good drizzle of béarnaise sauce. Divide open beef sammies, salad and roasties between plates.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2580 kj / 617 kcal
- Protein: 31.6g
- Carbohydrate: 53.1g
- Fat: 30.1g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe