Indian-Spiced Lamb with Bombay Potatoes
Aromatic and bursting with classic flavours
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, May 28, 2017.
- 800g potatoes, scrubbed and cut into halves or quarters until they are roughly the same size
- ½ red onion *
- 2 tomatoes
- 1-1½ tablespoons Bombay spice mix
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and stalks *
- 600g lamb leg steaks (at room temperature)
- 1-2 teaspoons Bombay spice mix (optional, adults)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste (optional, adults)
- BRING a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- 1 Add potatoes to pot of boiling water, cover with a lid and cook for 15-18 minutes, until tender. Drain well and set aside. While potatoes cook, pat lamb dry with paper towels, sprinkle with second measure Bombay spice mix (if using) and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 2 Finely dice red onion and dice tomatoes 2cm. Set both aside. Cut cucumber in half lengthways then thinly slice and finely shred cos lettuce. Add both to a large bowl. Just before serving, add mayonnaise and harissa to bowl with lettuce, toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large (preferably deep) fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook lamb for 2-3 minutes each side for medium (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Set aside, covered in foil, to rest while you prepare the rest of the meal. Reserve pan.
- 4 Return reserved pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook onion for 1-2 minutes, until soft. Add first measure of Bombay spice mix, ginger and salt and cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, until softened.
- 5 Add cooked potatoes to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, lightly crushing potatoes with a fork, until tomatoes have broken down and potatoes have heated through. Add coriander and season to taste with salt and pepper. Slice lamb thickly against the grain.
- TO SERVE place Bombay potatoes onto plates and top with slices of Indian-spiced lamb. Serve with a handful of harissa salad.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 1816 kj / 434 kcal
- Protein: 32.3g
- Carbohydrate: 31.7g
- Fat: 19.1g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe