Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni with Apple and Fennel Salad
Classic, simple and delicious.
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, May 28, 2017.
SPINACH AND RICOTTA CANNELLONI
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2/3 bag baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 200g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ tablespoon cannelloni spice mix
- 1 jar tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 fresh lasagne sheets
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
APPLE AND FENNEL SALAD
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine, cider)
- 2-3 baby fennel bulbs
- 2-3 radishes
- 1 apple
- 1/3 bag baby spinach leaves
- PREHEAT oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a medium baking dish (measuring about 20 x 25cm).
- 1 In a medium bowl, combine shallot, carrot, first measure of spinach, ricotta, egg, first measure of salt and cannelloni spice mix and mix well. Season with black pepper.
- 2 In a separate bowl, combine passata, soy sauce, second measure of salt and balsamic vinegar. Pour a third of the passata mix into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly.
- 3 Place one lasagne sheet on a board, with the long side facing you, then cut in half vertically to make two even squares. Spread heaped ¼ cup amounts of ricotta mix along the closest edge of each sheet and roll up like a sausage roll.
- 4 Place cannelloni roll, seamside-down, in prepared dish and repeat with remaining mixture and lasagne sheets. Cover cannelloni with remaining passata mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until pasta is just tender and cheese is golden.
- 5 While cannelloni cooks, whisk together vinegar and mustard with a drizzle of oil in a large bowl. Thinly slice fennel and radishes; quarter apple and thinly slice (discard core); roughly chop second measure of spinach. Add to bowl with dressing, toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE carefully divide spinach and ricotta cannelloni between plates and top with a handful of apple and fennel salad.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2355 kj / 563 kcal
- Protein: 32.4g
- Carbohydrate: 63.3g
- Fat: 18.3g
- Pantry staple