Sticky Lemon Chicken with Winter Tabbouleh and Pomegranate
A warm and wintery twist on a classic tabbouleh
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, July 23, 2017.
- 1 carrot, diced 1cm
- 2 courgettes, diced 2cm
- 1¼ cups bulgur wheat
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half* *
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped *
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley leaves and stalks *
- 4-5 tablespoons mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon (zest whole lemon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil *
STICKY LEMON CHICKEN
- 650g chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or runny honey)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon (zest whole lemon)
- 100g pomegranate mayonnaise
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Bring a full kettle to the boil. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 1 Toss carrot and courgettes on prepared tray with a drizzle of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 15 minutes, until tender. Turn once during cooking.
- 2 While veggies cook, add bulgur and a pinch of salt to pot of boiling water and turn off heat. Cover with a lid and leave to soak for 15-18 minutes, until grains are tender. Drain well through a sieve.
- 3 While bulgur soaks, pat chicken dry with paper towels and cut into 3cm-thick strips. Place in a shallow bowl, along with all remaining sticky lemon chicken ingredients and mix well to coat. Set aside for 5 minutes to marinate.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Cook chicken for about 3 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Set aside, covered with foil, to rest for about 5 minutes.
- 5 When veggies have finished cooking and bulgur has drained, toss together all winter tabbouleh ingredients in a large bowl, until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE, divide winter tabbouleh between plates and top with slices of sticky lemon chicken. Dollop with pomegranate mayonnaise.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2685 kj / 642 kcal
- Protein: 31.2g
- Carbohydrate: 31.2g
- Fat: 42.8g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe