Italian Braised Lentils with Crispy Brussel Sprouts
This rustic Italian braised lentils dish is a classic winter warmer.
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, July 23, 2017.
CRISPY BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- 300g Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian spice mix
- ½ bag baby kale leaves *
- 1 sourdough pide
ITALIAN BRAISED LENTILS
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 leek
- 2 tablespoons Italian spice mix
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 100g fresh veggie mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Line a large, flat oven tray with baking paper.
- 1 Toss Brussel sprouts and first measure of Italian spice mix with a drizzle of oil on prepared tray. Season with salt and pepper and bake for about 5 minutes, until starting to turn golden.
- 2 Thinly slice kale. Roughly tear bread into bite-sized pieces and toss with a drizzle of olive oil. Add both to tray with Brussel sprouts and bake for a further 10-12 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- 3 While Brussels sprouts are cooking, mince garlic and thinly slice leek. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Add garlic and leek and cook for about 4 minutes, until tender. Add second measure of Italian spice mix and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- 4 Add canned tomatoes, lentils, water and brown sugar to pan with leek. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly thickened and reduced. Add balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 Roughly tear mozzarella into bite-sized pieces and roughly chop basil leaves. Set aside.
- TO SERVE, divide Italian braised lentils between bowls and top with crispy Brussels sprouts, mozzarella and basil leaves.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2056 kj / 491 kcal
- Protein: 31.9g
- Carbohydrate: 62.9g
- Fat: 10.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe