Venison and Beef Stir-Fry
with broccoli, micro-kohlrabi and berry ginger sauce
Fresh Start Lite 10
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 10 on Sunday, July 23, 2017.
- 1/3 cup Japanese brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon berry ginger sauce
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon runny honey
- 1½ teaspoons vinegar (e.g. rice wine, white wine)
- ½ teaspoon cornflour
VENISON AND BEEF STIR-FRY
- ½ brown onion *
- ½ courgette
- ½ head broccoli *
- 1 teaspoon oil, for stir-frying (or use spray oil)
- 275g lean ground venison and beef blend
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup frozen, shelled edamame beans *
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Remaining berry ginger sauce
- 2 radishes, cut in half then thinly sliced *
- ½-1 punnet micro kohlrabi
- 1 Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 10 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 In a small bowl, mix all stir-fry sauce ingredients until cornflour is dissolved. Set aside. Thinly slice onion; cut courgette in half lengthways and thinly slice; cut broccoli into small florets and dice stalk. Set all aside.
- 3 Heat a medium, dry fry-pan on medium heat. Toast sesame seeds for 1–2 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean.
- 4 Heat 1/2 teaspoon of the oil in same pan on high heat. Cook venison and beef blend and a pinch of salt for 2-3 minutes, breaking up as it cooks, until just cooked. Remove from pan and set aside, covered. Wipe out pan and return to high heat.
- 5 Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to pan and stir-fry onion for 2-3 minutes. Add broccoli, courgette and water and cook for a further 2 minutes, until just cooked but still crunchy. Add edamame and cook for 30 seconds. Give stir-fry sauce another stir then add to pan, along with cooked venison mixture and half the sesame seeds. Stir to combine.
- 6 Reduce heat to low and allow to warm through for about 1 minute. Season. Using kitchen scissors, trim micro-kohlrabi, about 0.5cm from the base.
- TO SERVE spoon rice and venison and beef stir-fry onto plates. Drizzle over remaining berry ginger sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds, radishes and READY IN micro-kohlrabi.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 1835 kj / 439 kcal
- Protein: 43.4g
- Carbohydrate: 38.7g
- Fat: 11.2g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe