Chicken and Cheese Balls with Roast Kumara Chunks
Delicious chicken and cheese balls that have have a pop of cheese in the centre and will be loved by all.
My Family Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Family Food Bag on Sunday, August 20, 2017.
ROAST KUMARA CHUNKS
- 600g orange kumara, scrubbed and diced 2cm
CHICKEN AND CHEESE BALLS
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (for rolling)
- 1 courgette
- 450g chicken mince
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chicken spice mix
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 block cheese, diced 1cm *
SPINACH AND KIWI SALAD
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine)
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- 2 kiwifruit
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped *
SWEET CHILLI MAYO
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mild sweet chilli sauce
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 1 Toss kumara on first prepared tray with a drizzle of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-18 minutes, until tender. Turn once during cooking. Place first measure of breadcrumbs onto a plate and set aside
- 2 While kumara cooks, grate courgette until you have ½ a cup worth. Place in a clean tea towel and squeeze out excess moisture. Add to a bowl with chicken mince, second measure of breadcrumbs, chicken spice mix and salt. Mix to combine using clean hands.
- 3 Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out mince mixture, take a piece of cheese and completely encase it in mince mixture, rolling into a ball. Place balls onto plate with breadcrumbs and roll to coat.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken and cheese balls for about 3-4 minutes, until browned on all sides. Transfer to second prepared tray and finish cooking in oven for 5-7 minutes, until cooked through.
- 5 In a medium bowl, whisk oil and vinegar. Dice cucumber 1cm; scoop out flesh from kiwifruit (discarding skin) and roughly chop; roughly chop baby spinach leaves. Add all to bowl with dressing and season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce.
- TO SERVE, divide roast kumara chunks, chicken and cheese balls, and spinach and kiwi salad between plates. Serve sweet chilli mayo on the side.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2073 kj / 495 kcal
- Protein: 28.0g
- Carbohydrate: 41.4g
- Fat: 27.3g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe