Roast Chicken with Smoky Vegetables and Gravy
An excellent comforting winter warmer.
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on Sunday, August 20, 2017.
- ½ butterflied chicken
- 2 teaspoons chicken spice mix
- ½ lemon, cut into 0.5cm rounds
- 300g potatoes, peeled and diced 2cm
- 1 brown onion, cut into 2cm wedges
- 1 carrot, diced 2cm
- ¼ head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon veggie spice mix
- 1 cup frozen peas *
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves *
- 1 pottle roast chicken gravy
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 1 Pat chicken dry with paper towels, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chicken spice mix. Rub all over top of the chicken. Season with pepper and set aside.
- 2 Toss potatoes, onion, carrot and cauliflower on prepared tray with veggie spice mix and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3 Place chicken and lemon slices on top of vegetables and roast for 28-30 minutes, until chicken is golden and cooked through. Remove chicken and cover in foil to rest for 3-4 minutes.
- 4 While chicken rests, bring a small pot of salted water to the boil and cook peas for 1 minute, until bright green and tender. Drain and add to a small bowl with mint and a drizzle of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cover to keep warm. Reserve pot used for peas.
- 5 Add gravy to reserved pot and bring to the boil on medium heat. As soon as it boils, remove from heat. Cut cooked chicken between the thigh and breast, and then cut the both the leg and breast in half.
- TO SERVE, divide smoky vegetables, peas and traditional roast chicken between plates. Drizzle over roast chicken gravy.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 2436 kj / 582 kcal
- Protein: 54.7g
- Carbohydrate: 41.6g
- Fat: 20.1g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe