Pork Pie with Crispy Cheese Potato Top
A hearty pie! Topped with sliced potatoes and melted cheese, this one’s sure to be gobbled up!
My Gluten-Free Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Gluten-Free Food Bag on Sunday, August 20, 2017.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil *
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 450g pork mince
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary and thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon GF smoked paprika
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 can cherry tomatoes
CRISPY CHEESE POTATO TOP
- 600g potatoes, peeled and sliced into 2-3mm rounds *
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary and thyme leaves
- 1 cup grated Edam cheese *
- 1 head broccoli
- 250g frozen peas *
- 2-3 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley leaves and stalks
- PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Set aside a baking dish (measuring about 26 x 18cm)
- 1 Heat olive oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Fry onion, garlic and pork mince for about 5 minutes or until browned, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add herbs, paprika and carrot and cook a further 1 minute.
- 2 Add tomatoes and simmer for about 4 minutes, until sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 While mince mixture simmers, prepare topping. In a medium bowl, toss sliced potato, melted butter and herbs together until well combined. Season with salt.
- 4 Transfer mince mixture to baking dish (measuring about 26 x 18cm). Arrange potato slices on top, overlapping, in rows then sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Grill for about 2 minutes until cheese is golden.
- 5 Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. When pie has 10 minutes bake time remaining, cut broccoli into small florets and add to pot of boiling water with peas. Cook for 2–3 minutes, until bright green and tender. Drain, drizzle with a little olive oil (if desired) and season with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE, divide pork pie with crispy potato top between plates and serve veggies on the side. Garnish pie with parsley.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2662 kj / 636 kcal
- Protein: 43.1g
- Carbohydrate: 29.7g
- Fat: 37.3g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe