Pork and Cranberry Sausage Rolls with Cucumber Pear Slaw
Let the sausage rolls rest on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes before serving, this will also help keep the bases crispier. This recipe should make 12 sausage rolls. For even-sized sausage rolls, we cut ours in half, then cut each half into 3 pieces.
My Family Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Family Food Bag on Sunday, September 24, 2017.
Pork and Cranberry Sausage Rolls
- ½ brown onion, finely diced or grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 375g flaky puff pastry
- 450g pork and cranberry sausage grind
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
Cucumber Pear Slaw
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard (e.g. Dijon, wholegrain)
- 1 pear
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- 1 carrot
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves *
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on high heat. Cook onion and grated carrot for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add 1 cup of the cooked veggies to a bowl and place in fridge for a few minutes to cool. Discard remaining cooked veggies.
- 2 Unroll pastry, paper-side-down, on a clean, flat surface then slice in half lengthways. Add sausage grind to bowl with cooked veggies and combine well using a wooden spoon (veggie mixture may still be hot). Roll mixture into a large ball then cut in half.
- 3 Lay mixture in centre of each pastry sheet and using clean hands, shape into a long, even sausage approx. 4-5cm-thick, all the way to each end. Roll up pastry to form two sausage rolls and place on prepared tray, seam-side-down.
- 4 Cut each sausage roll into 6 even-sized pieces then brush with egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until pastry is puffed and golden and sausage rolls are cooked through.
- 5 While sausage rolls are cooking, mix mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard in a large bowl, until combined. Slice pear and cucumber into thin matchsticks; grate second carrot; thinly slice baby spinach leaves. Add all to bowl with dressing, season to taste and toss to combine.
- 6 To serve, divide pork and cranberry sausage rolls between plates and serve cucumber pear slaw on the side. Serve with a dollop of tomato sauce.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2543 kj / 608 kcal
- Protein: 24.1g
- Carbohydrate: 41.8g
- Fat: 37.5g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe