Sticky Five-Spice Chicken with Carrot and Radish Salad
Marinate your chicken overnight for added flavour. Use a non-stick pan for best results.
My Gourmet Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Gourmet Food Bag on Sunday, September 24, 2017.
Sticky Five-spice Chicken
- 50g oyster sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 300g chicken thigh, thinly sliced
- 100g vermicelli noodles
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ brown onion, thinly sliced *
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon five-spice
- 1 baby bok choy, end trimmed 1cm, rinsed and thinly sliced
Carrot and Radish Salad
- 1 bunch baby carrots, scrubbed and ends trimmed 1cm
- 2 radishes
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 punnet micro coriander
- ½ lime, cut into wedges
- 1 Bring a full kettle to the boil. In a small bowl, combine oyster sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, cornflour and soy sauce. Add chicken to bowl and set aside to marinate.
- 2 In a heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over vermicelli noodles to cover and use a fork to separate strands. Leave for 5 minutes then drain and return to bowl with sesame oil and toss to coat. Set aside to keep warm.
- 3 Peel carrots and cut into quarters lengthways. Slice radishes into thin rounds and toss in a medium bowl together with baby carrots and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry-pan on mediumhigh heat. Cook onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, until soft. Reduce heat to low, add five-spice and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring continuously, until fragrant. Increase heat to medium and add chicken and marinade.
- 5 Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes, until cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and stir through bok choy. Using kitchen scissors, cut the entire section of micro coriander, leaving 1cm of the base.
- 6 To serve, divide vermicelli noodles between plates and top with sticky five-spice chicken. Serve carrot and radish salad on the side, and sprinkle over micro coriander. Serve lime wedges on the side.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 1920 kj / 459 kcal
- Protein: 24.3g
- Carbohydrate: 44.3g
- Fat: 20.0g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe