Beef Rib Jungle Curry with Rice
Be careful when removing braised beef rib from the bag as the sauce will be hot! When you remove the bone, be sure to remove the sinew as well.
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on Sunday, September 24, 2017.
- ½ cup Japanese brown rice
- ½ cup water
Beef Rib Jungle Curry
- 150g braised beef rib
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon jungle curry paste
- ½ can coconut cream
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- ½ baby bok choy, end trimmed 1cm, leaves separated and roughly chopped *
- ½ tomato, diced 1cm *
- Juice of ½ lemon *
- ½ Lebanese cucumber *
- 1 pack crispy shallots
- 1 tablespoon picked coriander leaves *
- 1 Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 Keeping beef rib in the bag, carefully place into pot of boiling water and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 12 minutes, until heated through.
- 3 While beef heats, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium frypan on medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes, until onion is soft. Reduce heat to low and add jungle curry paste. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- 4 Increase heat to medium, add coconut cream, stock/ water and fish sauce and stir to combine. Add beef rib and ¼ cup of the cooking liquid to sauce. Pull beef into 3-4 pieces (discarding bone) and add bok choy and tomato.
- 5 Simmer for about 2 minutes, until sauce starts to thicken and bok choy is bright green and tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir through lemon juice. While curry cooks, Peel cucumber into long, thin ribbons, stopping when you reach the core (discard core and seeds).
- 6 To serve, spoon ¾ cup cooked brown rice into a bowl and spoon over beef rib jungle curry. Top with cucumber ribbons, crispy shallots and garnish with coriander.
- SERVES 1
- Energy: 2849 kj / 681 kcal
- Protein: 43.0g
- Carbohydrate: 55.2g
- Fat: 32.8g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe