Chimichurri Orange Bulgur Salad with Halloumi
Use non-stick frypan for best results when cooking your halloumi. For adults or those that want a bit of a kick, sprinkle sliced chilli over top when serving.
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, September 24, 2017.
Chimichurri Orange Bulgur
- ¾ cup bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- ½ teaspoon runny honey
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¾ pottle veggie chimichurri sauce
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced 1cm
- 3-4 radishes, sliced thinly
- 25g chopped walnuts
- ½ bag rocket leaves *
½ bag rocket leaves*
- ½ red chilli, thinly sliced (optional, adults)
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 200g halloumi cheese
- 3 teaspoons halloumi spice mix
- ¼ pottle veggie chimichurri sauce
- 1 Bring a full kettle to the boil. Combine bulgur wheat, raisins and a pinch of salt in a medium heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover and leave to soak for 15-18 minutes, until grains are tender. Drain well through a sieve and return to bowl.
- 2 Add all remaining chimichurri orange bulgur ingredients (except walnuts and rocket) to bowl with bulgur, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside, covered, to keep warm.
- 3 In a small bowl, combine all honey dressing ingredients.
- 4 Slice halloumi 1cm and coat in halloumi spice mix. Heat a medium dry-fry pan on medium-high heat and toast walnuts for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Set aside.
- 5 Return pan with a drizzle of olive oil on medium heat. Cook halloumi for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden and cooked heated though. Toss rocket and walnuts with chimichurri orange bulgur.
- 6 To serve, divide chimichurri orange bulgur between plates and top with halloumi. Drizzle over honey dressing and remaining chimichurri sauce.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2376 kj / 568 kcal
- Protein: 26.0g
- Carbohydrate: 40.0g
- Fat: 31.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe