San Choy Bau
The chicken and veggie mixture could be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Just heat it up until hot through, when you are ready to eat. For those with peanut allergies, use olive oil instead of peanut oil, and omit peanuts to serve.
My Gluten-Free Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Gluten-Free Food Bag on Sunday, September 24, 2017.
- 1½ cups GF jasmine rice
- 2¼ cups water
Chicken and Veggies
- Chicken and veggies
- 2 stalks celery *
- 1 carrot
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons GF peanut oil
- 450g chicken mince
- 2 spring onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- ½ capsicum, core and seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger *
- 150g GF san choy bau sauce
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional, adults)
- 2 teaspoons GF fish sauce
- 2 spring onions, green part only
- ½ capsicum, core and seeds removed
- 2 baby cos lettuces
- 35g GF chopped, roasted peanuts
- 1 Bring a full kettle to the boil. Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 While rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the meal. Thinly slice celery; grate carrot; mince garlic. Set all aside. Thinly slice green part of spring onions and second measure of capsicum into thin strips, about 4cm long; trim lettuce and separate leaves. Set all aside on a plate for serving.
- 3 Heat half the peanut oil in a large fry-pan or wok on medium-high heat. Cook chicken mince for 3-4 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside, covered, to keep warm.
- 4 Return pan/wok to heat with remaining peanut oil and cook celery, carrot, white part of spring onions and first measure of capsicum for about 3 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and ginger and cook a further 1 minute.
- 5 Return chicken mince to pan/wok with veggies, along with san choy bau sauce, chilli flakes (if using) and fish sauce. Toss until heated through and combined, about 1 minute.
- 6 To serve, place rice on a large serving dish and spread out, or spoon ¾ cup per person onto each plate. Top with chicken and veggies and sprinkle over spring onion, capsicum and peanuts. Serve lettuce cups on the side and fill up with rice and chicken as you eat.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2026 kj / 484 kcal
- Protein: 27.0g
- Carbohydrate: 52.8g
- Fat: 20.2g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe